Monday, November 21, 2016

New City, New Beginnings

Since my last blog, we have finally re-located to New Mexico.  Here's a quick timeline:

- Tom moved on October 15, 2016 to begin his new job.
- The girls moved on November 4, 2016 to begin their new school
- I moved on November 12, 2016

Tom is currently in the honeymoon phase of his new job.  I think he'll continue to like it as it sounds like it's a mixture of what he did in the Northeast and Texas.  What that entails?  I have no idea.  I'll just take his word for it.

The girls (and kids in general) are resilient.  I was sold when they told me they love their new school and run right in during drop off.  I tried to make the transition as seamless as possible so both are enrolled in swim class and Ania in ballet.  They seem to have fun, but mommy is taking a little bit longer to adjust as I was used to their current teachers and how things are done.  Leave it to Tom to try and calm my nerves with sports analogies.  Needless, I'm still adjusting.  One difference is that the girls have started playing with the neighborhood girls.  I think it's great and happy that they've adjusted to their surroundings but the back of my mind tells me we're renting and could be moving again.  I'll deal with it. 

Mommy (aka me) is adjusting to working from home, small town life and just being here.  I have my good and bad days.  I don't even want to say bad, but maybe home sickness vibes.  There are things that I found in Houston that I really loved and things that I didn't care for so much, which I'm OK to do without.  But the relationships built (new and old), routine, and proximity to stores, I do miss.  All of that seems to go away when I see the girls smiling and laughing. 
  • Working from Home has its pros and cons.  I'm finding more pros but it gets quiet and I miss interaction.  I think that's put me in a place of awkwardness that I'm still trying to navigate. 
  • Small town Life.  It's just that.  Small.  I've run into the same family everyday last week.  I hope I can establish a relationship with the parents.  Also, Ania started playing with this girl and she told me they were in the same ballet class.  ah, ok! 
  • Adjusting.  The cool thing living out here are all the cool things that we're not able to do in Texas like skiing and hiking trails.  I'm pretty pumped about that as most of our family vacations were looking for outdoor activities.  Now, I think we'll be looking for beach vacays.
  • Road trip material - we're relatively close to Colorado and Arizona, so until we get the girls used to longer car rides, we'll be planning trips soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment