Friday, September 28, 2012

Daycares vs. Montessori Schools

Here we go again. School número 4. She, well, mommy actually lasted 14 days to be exact. Before I had no clue on what the difference was between a daycare and Montessori. But I do now! Lol

In Jersey school #1, she went to a daycare and I loved it! The teachers loved Ania, she did art projects, went for walks with the teachers, the room was small and she played with other kids and the teachers interacted with her. We absolutely loved it and I still talk to her teachers today. it was a a controlled chaos.

In Houston school #2, a montessori,it was some getting used to. It was different. Smaller classroom, less kids, teachers interact with the kids and I didn't have much of a relationship with the teachers as my parents were the ones dropping and picking her up. But on the occasions I did, I had a great communication with them and I really liked them. But then we moved and I thought I wanted a daycare environment which brought us to daycare #3 because it reminded me of the school in jersey

Houston school #3, I wanted to give it a chance and I did. In the end we weren't compatible with the center. Every morning I would drop off the bag, give her to a teacher and try would put her on the floor with a toy. Sometimes she'd cry and they didn't do anything. One occasion she had a dirty diaper and it took them 45 minutes to change her. Not cool. I make requests, ie diaper cream on every changing, and I am not heard bc she has a rash now. I ask in the afternoon how she was and I always get the response "I don't know, I just got here an hour ago". Again, not cool. I've already lost some bottle parts which is my mistake for not labeling an there are one too many times where there's not enough teachers in the room. Speaking of the room, it's too big and there's a total of 16 babies (6 weeks to 12month). My gut doesn't feel comfortable, so I'm going with that. There's been too many times to walk in and babies are just crying. I walked in one afternoon and saw a 6 month old push his head off the boppy pillow so his head was upside down. Did the teachers run to fix him? No. No real director in charge at all times. Not cool. It was a chaotic place with no control. So that was the last button. We started our research once again which led us back to a Montessori school.

Houston school #4. I took a tour. Actually Tom and I went at different times an had the same opinion. A lot of discipline, smaller rooms, teaching and calmness. That's what our baby boo needs. Funny enough a parent told Tom their kid ha been there for 2 years and is learning Spanish and they love te place. When I went a mom just came up to me praising the place and that her son had been there for 3 years and loves it. I didn't ask her nor come up to her but that was refreshing to her. This will be the last school or awhile.

I'll always trust my gut. Always for baby boo. All in all, I've turned into a Montessori mom. I mean, I went to one and I turned out peachy! Lol

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for shedding some light on the difference! Hope this Montessori works well. And when parents tell you how great the school is without asking its a sign! 2 different moms have come up to me about how great it is versus places they tried before. Good job Montessori mom. Haha

    ReplyDelete